Wednesday, January 16, 2008

another goes

I got word last night that an acquaintenance had passed.

Unlike Jim, there won't be a crowd to his service, nor a whole lot of lamentations.

He was a throughly disagreeable guy who was right about everything, and who wore his religion in such a way to irritate everyone, sinner and saint alike.

Of course, I cannot help but compare him and his life to Jims. We mourn one for being such a good guy, and mourn for the other's illness and painful death, but with less compassion some way.

This guy had bad health, was terribly over weight, and was genuinely disagreeable, but he was a human and I hate to see any humn suffer. His sufferings are over.

But, I don't get the sense of closure I get with Jim. I keep wondering how close he was to the rest of us in ways I cannot understand. Was it his illness that made him a pain or the multitude of pains in his life that made him what he was.

I don't know, but that question will haunt me I am afraid.

3 comments:

StefanieRose said...

Loosing anyone we knew can make us think. Though out my life I have gone to a lot of Italian Funerals. Each one made me think a lot about my own life and the way I choose to live it. I did not always know the person well, but a loss of one is a loss for us all. Even the cheek-pinching scary old people from my youth.

Love you too Davy.

Joanne said...

Sorry to hear about your acquaintance, Dave. I knew someone like that and took the chance of asking him why he always seemed so irritable and unfriendly. His answer made some sense, I guess. He said he'd lost someone very close to him and didn't ever want to get close to anyone again. Losing the person hurt too much. Maybe this person you knew felt the same way.

dave said...

Joanne, in a way I wish I knew. If I were a shrink I would consider it a lot more!