Sunday, January 13, 2008

the service

The service is over.

Over 400 people were at the service, almost 200 at the dinner afterward. The church was full.

My talk was well received.

Pastor Bruce, who spoke, is a good friend to all of us. He had some emotional things to say, more personal than pastors usually get. He confided to his wife, he later told me, that he hoped I wouldn’t get through my emotional part without a hitch, because if I had a bit of a choke up, it would be easier for him.

I stopped a few times, bit my lip a bit, and then continued. Pastor Bruce said thank you. He bit his lip a few times too.

My talk was too long to post here, but here was my last two paragraphs:

We guys aren’t too good at saying I love you to anyone, much less another guy, but every time I would leave him, I would say Jim, I love you, and I would hold his hand a moment.

Truly, my friend, you were loved, and we will never forget you. You were a superb friend and genuine good guy.

4 comments:

nancy said...

i'm glad the service went well and you were able to say everything you wanted. i had faith that you could do it. there was nothing wrong with you pausing a bit, it just showed how much you truly cared for jim.

thanks for sharing the last 2 paragraphs. they brought tears to my eyes, very powerful and heartfelt.

dave said...

thank you

Anonymous said...

Indeed he was.

rainbowheart said...

Tears are in my eyes while I read this post. There is nothing no greater than the love of a friend. Thank you so much for sharing this with us Dave. And you too are LOVED, my friend!