Friday, March 28, 2008

consequences

The law of unintended consequences is alive and well.

I took a pill to help my blood pressure and it affects my stomach. I take a pill to help me cope and it makes me sleepy, change to a different pill and I deal with insomnia.

Last year we went to court to get guardianship of Miriam. Mostly it was done so we could be sure of access to her records and care for her better.

A week or so ago I got a letter from the court. I had missed a deadline filing a form. I didn’t even know about it, or didn’t pay enough attention. So yesterday we went to the court house (Emily went with me) to find the correct form.

Turns out I have to file a list of Miriam’s assets. That is complicated by the fact that we live in a community property state, and what is hers is mine, and visa versa.

So the court wants a list of all of our assets. “Anything of $100 value or more.” Wow, think of that one. I have a shop full of tools. Used tools are not very valuable, or even salable, by the way.

We don’t have stocks, bonds, wide investments of any sort, so that part is simple, but I have to list my cars, my 4 trailers, house and so on. There is no way I will list each of my hundreds of tools. I’ll do some generalization.

Then each December I have to file another form to explain what I did with Miriam's income for that year. Since her income is very low that is not hard, but it still is a form I need to fill out and submit.

Who has guardianship of who here?

Oh well. I still think we made the right move.

2 comments:

StefanieRose said...

it does sound complex. <3 u

nancy said...

another thing about this darn disease that just plain sucks! sigh, as if you didn't have enough to do on a daily basis. thinking of you dave....