Sunday, March 23, 2008

Yes you were. . .

Today I was emptying my closet, cutting down on redundant clothes.

I came across a box of magazines. The mags were there because they were published by the company Miriam worked for, and they contain a good bit of her work as an illustrator.

Hoping I could get her interested in clipping out her actual art work, I brought the box down and set it on the table. “Here are some magazines for you to look through.”

She was not anxious to do anything, but soon she was looking and working. At one point she called to me: “I was pretty good wasn’t I?”

Yes you were my dear, very good, and that was cut short, I am so sad. I had hoped that in retirement she might get back to her paints but that does not seem to be working. I wonder what would happen if I set up a paint corner with an easel and her favorite old paints and brushes.

What I am really afraid of is that the light really has gone out and that she would feel more inadequate and that it would destroy her more than it would help her. Maybe I am wrong, but I don’t think I want to risk it.

Yes, Miriam, you were a very fine illustrator, and I so wish it had come out different than this.

3 comments:

~Betsy said...

Wow, Dave. Miriam certainly has talent! Maybe instead of paints and an easel, could you try pencils and a sketch book? Just a thought.

dave said...

I am afraid those days are over, and I cry.

rainbowheart said...

Dave,
I'm so sorry that this disease has taken so much from Ms. Miriam. I know that this is heartbreaking. Momma loved to cook and now we are even after for her to be in the kitchen when we cook. Sad..I know that feeling. I think the one thing that I miss the most of everything that she cooked is her biscuits. I can close my eyes and still taste how good they are. Take care!!!