Monday, November 17, 2008

grandparents day

We are in Washington state tonight, right down in the lower right corner.

Almost. Go left from the Idaho/Washington/Oregon corner about 100 miles by road and that is where we are: Walla Walla. The town they liked so well they named it twice, as my grandpa said years ago (he was born here in 1886).

Today was grandparents day at the school that Matt and Jessica attend. Every year about this time they have this day to honor grandparents and we have made it every time since they have been attending this school.

A while back I sent out the message that we would not make it this year, citing the price of gas as the reason. But last night about 9, I got to thinking. Grandkids are small only a little while, gas is $2.09 a gallon here now and I have some cash that I did not expect to get, and why not?

So I emailed Arline (daughter 1) and asked about the program and in 10 minutes made up my mind and made arrangements. When Matt was told we were coming, he pumped the air: “YES.” They are good kids.

We got up at 6 this morning and were on the road by 7:30. Not bad for old folks! The drive is almost 4 hours, but it was a pleasant day to drive.

We visited with Matt and Jessica, talked to their teachers, had a decent school lunch!

I gave Matt’s new teacher my usual line: “Matt is bright, capable and a tad lazy. Do not let him get away with sloppy work. And, if you need to quote me, you can.” I think he actually likes it that I care.

We will stay over night and go home tomorrow, so we can flush that new toilet!

2 comments:

Lori1955 said...

Oh my gosh, small world. My father was born in Walla Walla, Washington.
I'm glad you took the trip. Hope you are having tons of fun with the little ones.

StefanieRose said...

I know he likes it David. I would if you came to visit me. I love you grandpa.