Sunday, November 16, 2008

toilets

A toilet is a pretty simple device, really.

You put something in the bowl, push the handle and a swish of water takes everything out of sight in one big push.

That is how it supposed to work, at least.

The old ones worked pretty well, but a while back the gov said we should use less water (what was wrong with using 5 gallons of drinking water to wash down 5 ounces of other stuff?).

So the engineers got going and a whole new generations of porcelain was cast. Problem was that like any thing in its first batch did not work so well. Well, we had one of those in our house and it did not work right ever. So today I pulled it out to see if there might be something blocking the trap.

Nothing was blocking, just bad design.

So a trip to the plumbing store and we came back with two boxes of porcelain. I was expecting it to be made in China, but instead it said Columbia on it!!

I am not a plumber, but I know how to do that, though a LOT slower than a good journeyman plumber would do.

But, wonder of wonder, it works wonderfully.

Swish and all is gone.

Ain’t good design beautiful?

5 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Dave, wish you were here to help me with a dripping kitchen faucet. Can't get the landlord to do a thing about it so I guess it rests on our shoulders. Ugh...

Yes, toilets are great when they work, which fortunately that is most of the time. I have always hated the fact I was wasting so much water just to flush a little unpleasantness down the pipes though.

Unknown said...

We bought 3 Kohler one piece toilets exactly the same except color. One worked perfectly. One needed a new flapper.

One is having to be returned because it leaks internally and we can't fix it. This one remains to be fixed.

All 3 have slightly different levels of water in the bowls and in my opinion that could be a little more.

They do flush well but you have to keep a toilet brush handy due to the low water.

About 1/2 of the Delta faucets had to be disassembled and reassembled by us due to one problem or another.

They are, however, very beautiful.

The two shower controls have the scald protector that is a pain to set. And they're low water, too.

But they really are very nice when the water is hot enough and the water volume reduction is not missed at all.

I have been overall surprised at the just sloppy inattention to detail in any number of things. Mostly not very important details but sloppy all the same. I did not notice such sloppiness the last time I built something about 25 years ago.

No one seems to think anything of it except me.

Lori1955 said...

As soon as I started reading this I thought about the toilet in the RV that I used to have. Those are definetly not fun. I can't tell you how many times I had to run a hose down that thing. :)

dave said...

RV toilets and quality control.

hmm

Could write a long time o those two.

dave said...

RV toilets and quality control.

hmm

Could write a long time o those two.