Monday, December 22, 2008

my music

I have been moving music!
For the last long time, most of the music I listened to came over the radio, public radio in this case.

Some years ago my daughter and her computer programer husband put their music collection on their computer, so they could easily listen to music as they choose.

I put “some” of my favorite music on my MacBook, and listen to it via ear buds. OK I had almost 800 “songs” on my “book”.

Then I got an iPod and began putting more play lists together. It was fun and it was not to difficult. When I got a semi ancient Mac desktop computer (in computers a 2 year old machine is old and a 4 year old one is very ancient). It had a smallish HD, but all I wanted it to do was be a backup, and to allow me to organize my music.

We don’t have a large CD collection. But a hundred CD’s is hard to manage on any kind of a big CD player that I could afford. We have a player that has room for 50 CD’s, but the options are listening to everything in order, or jumping from cut to cut, and that has limitations.

Enter the computer. Right now I have about 6 GB of music on desktop and I can pick a tune at a time, or an album at a time and put it on a play list. I can create a bunch of them.

The downside is that it takes a while to transfer a lot of CD’s to the computer, and then back it all up. But with winter and time I am doing it this week. I have a thing about proper use of copyright material, so all of the CD’s I have are ones I have purchased. O, there are a few tunes that granddaughters have sent me, but that is not a significant portion (with luck my jail time should be minimal).

And at will I can copy from that collection to my iPod, allowing me listening wherever I might go.

Tomorrow we are gong to travel 250 miles. I will fill the iPod with music we will enjoy, and then hook up two sets of ear buds, so Miriam and I can both listen as we drive. (My iPod does not allow it to be tied in with the car music system, that one was over budget!)

Along with the books I download from the internet and listen to, this whole thing has added a lot of listening pleasure to my life.

It is cool, as my granddaughers might say.

1 comment:

~Betsy said...

Have a safe trip, Dave. Enjoy your music!