Saturday, January 17, 2009

Don

I attend an Alzheimer’s support group each month.

Second Wednesday at 2 pm in the Church of the Brethren, Orchard and Middleton. Nice looking church, not my church, but what I know of it I like.

The support group is facilitated by three men: Walt, whose wife is in the latter stages of Alzheimer’s; Dave who cared for his mother who had dementia (not AD) and died a few years ago as well as Don, the assistant pastor of the church (whose son was the senior pastor until last summer). Don came on board because it was his church, and many members of the group are also church members. All three are wonderfully good guys.

Dave runs a mechanic shop, Walt lives across the street from the church. Don said they started the group as some way to get Walt into a church, and the both laughed.

Don’s son has been the senior pastor of this congregation, then they left to go on a two year mission. Don and his wife Dorothy have been married about 60 years, in age, Don is getting close to his mid 80’s. He is a canadian by birth (talks it too) and a WWII navy vet. He has a genuine easy smile and that ease of being around others that puts us al at ease.

He told us a few months back that his wife had been diagnosed with cancer. She was doing quite well we were sure told, Don’s faith was strong, but he knew reality. Last Wednesday Don could not be to the meeting, Dorothy was having surgery.

Today Walt called to tell me that Dorothy passed today.

I won’t see Don for at least a month (we met this last Wednesday), but I will think of him often. I know it is coming, but loosing a long time partner and friend has to be the hardest thing there is in this life.

1 comment:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

So sad....I feel for Don (also my dad's name and Dad was a WWII Navy pilot vet ). I remember when the dr. came out and told my dad and I that there was nothing more he could do and Mom had died....the light vanished from Dad's eyes and never returned again. They were married for 61 beautiful years. She was his everything.

God bless your friend and give him strength to bear his grief and sadness in the coming days. He will surely need good friends and family around him.

Rest easy, Dorothy.