Thursday, August 27, 2009

camping again

We are going camping again.

When my friend David lived here, we went camping a lot more often. He would just announce that he was going next weekend, and at least some of us would go. It was great. Without David’s prodding, we have not gone as often.

Camping is our recreation event.

On the last trip I spilled the juice from Rhubarb crisp on my bed and it left an ugly stain. So, we had to wash the sheets (I prefer to have sheets and blankets in the tear rather than sleeping bags) and tomorrow I’ll make the bed again.

Imagine making your bed and laying on it while you are doing it! Alas, I must make sure I have clean knees!

Our next trip, the middle of September will be for two weeks, and we have been invited back to San Francisco for Thanksgiving. The tear goes with us on that trip, so we will sleep in it a good bit yet this fall.

Our last camp trip was a tent trip. We should have taken the tear, but we did not. In the morning I’ll re-stock the galley, load the water and the shade tent and try not to forget anything.

We are only going about 50 miles to an old town site where my great grandfather lived and worked about 1920. Grandpa Lew and his brother John were surveyors who worked on the Black Canyon Dam project. Uncle John had a heart attack and died while working on the project. Lew was my mother’s grandfather.

The townsite can still be seen. The campground is operated by the Bureau of Reclamation. Idaho has only two campgrounds under their jurisdiction. The price is right, once you get the gear together. The fee for this park, the last time I was there, was a whopping $3 per night for old timers.

I intend to sit in the shade, read a bit, do some writing and drawing and generally charge my battery. Miriam is good company. Of course Leo is going with us!

So, I’ll be off until Tuesday.

No comments: