Sunday, August 23, 2009

living good

When I get dinner, my first stop is our garden.

Sweet corn available from my neighbor garden, or now from my own plantings; potatoes still in the ground and tomatoes. I have those three in abundance.

Then we have zucchini, egg plant, green peppers and green beans for the fun of it.

So, our meals right now are about straight out of the garden, and pretty much the same each day. We won’t have fresh corn and vine ripe tomatoes too much longer.

As always I oven roasted the sweet corn, potatoes, zucchini, eggplant, and then steamed purple beans that turn green! There was a whole plate of fresh sliced tomatoes.

In a month and a half dinner will have different ingredients. We will eat well, but there is the best time of year, for good fresh food.

The produce section of our grocery store will be chocked by the usual varieties of veggies all winter. Just about the same inventory always, but it is not the same as good vegetables in season.

Without moving to Arizona or El Paso, I wish I could extend that fresh vegetable season.

1 comment:

Creatrix Dea said...

one of my sisters mentioned the wonderful fruits available this time of year...my thoughts....they look and taste the same in my grocery store this time of year as in February. I really miss the amazing tree-ripe fruits of Idaho. I have a good orange tree, but not the same as an apricot that pushes out sweet juice as you break it in half. My kids don't even know what a good apricot tastes like.