Monday, August 24, 2009

cherries

Yesterday my brother in law came to visit.

He works part time at a wholesale produce house. (Before he retired he worked for them full time).

About once a month he comes over and bring something from the over ripe shelf at the warehouse. Usually the produce is perfect for eating right now, but by the time it goes to a retail outlet and sits there, it will be over ripe very soon.

Any way, he brought a lug of Cherries. There is a town not too far from where Miriam grew up in Eastern Oregon that has the latest cherries in the North West. And since they have no competition at that time of year, they get a premium price.

So he brought this 30 pound lug.

So yesterday, in spite of what I might have thought I should do, I worked on cherries.

I called a daughter, looked on the internet and decided I would pit and freeze some of them to be used in Smoothies later. I borrowed a pitter, but the cherries were too big to pit well, so I ended up doing quite a bit of it by hand, and what a messy job that is.

But, at the end of the day I had a stack of pitted cherries, bagged and in the freezer as well as 14 pints, ready for the shelves.

We have not been eating a lot of canned cherries, but I told Miriam we would have cherries with our hot oatmeal cereal this winter!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We've just started buying frozen cherries. They are a tad expensive but I love them served still partially frozen and I eat them like I would ice cream.

Don't know why I haven't enjoyed them before.

And I really have wondered how they pit them.

Good choice!

arutherford said...

Cherries on oatmeal sounds yummy. Yet another time I wished we lived closer so we could swap delicacies.

dave said...

in this little valley we eat well, at the minimum.