Wednesday, September 9, 2009

recent books

I have been making some different style books of late. I began using the Coptic Stitch and this is some of the results. The Copts, Christians in and near Egypt, began using this stitch about the 3rd or 4th century AD. The advantage is that the book can lay flat and the pages open easily.
The book is made without any glue, though I might glue the cover together. And, there is a very decorative look.

This is a large sketch book. 6 /2 by 9 1/2 by 1 1/4 42 pages heavy drawing paper. This view shows the stitching.

The cover is a small version of a poster that my daughter Lia designed for Moonstruck Chocolates.
I am still learning of the almost limitless ways the stitching can be done. There is so many kinds of cover, text paper and thread/cord/ribbon that can be used for the binding.
I am having a good time with all of this!
Box making and book binding go hand in hand. I am working on a small box to hold the smallest journal in this series.

No comments: