Sunday, October 11, 2009

loved

Some things are too nice to use.

Like that gold edged china that sits in our cupboard. We bought it at a yard sale from friends who got it somewhere else. Hasn’t had more than a meal or two on them in 20 years.

Rv’s fit into that category too. Particularly hand made teardrop trailers. There are some truly museum quality trailers out there. The wood is used expertly, the trip is perfect. They are truly a visual feast.

But how much are they really used?

Ours is a different story. I built it to use and we have. So far we have logged 9000 miles and slept in it for 85 nights. One night in a truck stop near Winnemucca, Nevada will hardly qualify as a good night sleep -- those truckers are noisy. And there was that night we drove from SF to Winnemucca in early December.

The thermometer I the Dodge read 6 degrees and we stopped in a rest area (among several much larger RV’s). It was bloody cold in that trailer and it took a LONG time to get it warmed up.

Sometimes, when the moon is nearly full, we have to throw a towel over a window because the light is so bright (the tear does not have curtains), but mainly I sleep extremely well, and so does Leo and Miriam!

My tear is not as wonderful made as many -- it cost a lot less to build than most, and it is lighter than almost any. But most of all it used and loved.

Like all things wood that are around water, this one has some maintenance issues, so after our last trip of the year (not done quite yet!) it goes into the shop for winter upgrade and maintenance.

Bill gave me a boat I enjoyed one year. He traded me back the boat for a ’56 Dodge car, which I sold, and used the cash to finance the building of the tear.

Thanks Bill!

2 comments:

Lori1955 said...

WOW, I didn't know you built your tear. I'm really impressed!!!

dave said...

When I was a kid I cried tears, now in retirement I built a tear!