Tuesday, October 13, 2009

'taters'

I planted a fair sized hunk of garden to potatoes: yellows, reds, whites.

This week it was time to dig and sort potatoes. And I did!

As much care as I had put into growing them my gopher friend put into eating them. Half of what I planted were Idaho Russets. Boy did Gopher like those. He ate, or ate at most of the crop!

He liked the Reds pretty well too, and ate a fair hunk of those too, but he did not like Yukon Golds at all, or didn’t get that far.


So now we have potatoes. The ironic part is that the whites keep the longest, and I have the fewest of those. So for now we are going to eat a LOT of yellow and red potatoes. That is not bad, they are very tasty.

Even then I got over a hundred pounds of good potatoes. Good thing we like to eat them!

But next year (gardeners live by next year) I have got to find a better location for friend gopher, maybe even gopher heaven.

2 comments:

Lori1955 said...

Oh gosh, potatoes are my favorite food. 100 pounds sure sounds good to me. :)

nancy said...

i too thought of lori as i was reading about your 100# of potatoes, and that's even after that darn gopher got some of them. maybe next year you could ask lori to come and protect your crop.