Wednesday, January 20, 2010

burnt beans

I put some beans on to cook yesterday morning.

Used the wood burning stove we heat the house – why not. In a few hours the beans were almost cooked, so I left them on the stove and went out to the shop to work.

After a while Miriam came out to tell me that the beans were cooked. I told her to set them off the stove and I'd finish fixing them for dinner.

A couple of hours later I came in the house.

It was full of smoke. Miriam, who cannot smell skunks in a closet, found nothing unusual. The heating stove was working well, no smoke there. I looked in the kitchen. My pan of beans was on the stove and it was emitting a steady cloud of dark smoke.

I turned the heat off and moved the pan. When asked, she couldn't remember.

This is the first time she has burned food so throughly, without having any memory of it at all. I am told that AD people do that. One more thing I have to watch.

A side note: when Miriam came out to the shop she had Leo who was not wanting to be in the house. She took him for a walk. When we went back inside, he cowered in the utility, then in the downstairs bathroom, with his head tight against the floor.

As the smoke cleared (thanks to the exhaust fan in the up bathroom) he came out of the bathroom. He has now ascended to be the smoke detector, he just doesn't speak english.

No comments: