Friday, January 22, 2010

candles

My daughters love to see candle light.

I like it too, so I put them on the table at almost every meal.

But something about candles bothers Miriam, and not just now with AD as our constant companion.

I light a candle for a meal, as soon as the meal is over, the table is cleared and the candle disappears. It just goes away. I have looked a long time for some of them, and some I never did figure where she put them.

But lately I have been burning a big 3 wick candle. It is big enough that it is hard to hide. Then, after it burns a bit and creates a hollow, Miriam grabs a knife and cuts off the edges to match the wick level. As much as I can, I save the wax.

The other day I was going through some of her art gear and found a big old electric frying pan. It had wax in it (potters was the base of pots so the glaze won't stick there). There was a lot of wax.

So I plugged it in and heated the wax. It took a while on low heat, then I poured it into a metal bucket I had close and there was almost a gallon of wax.

The interesting thing is that the wax is a pretty bright green color! I could add red and make a candle that was a dull brown!

Hmm.

3 comments:

Arline said...

Bright green works for me! Find your mold, get down to Joann's and get some wick...You're set. (Google for tips on the how-to's)

Have fun!

dave said...

I'll do it!
I even have the wicks, though the last time I made a candle the mold leaked and I had a puddle of hot then hard wax on the table!
This time I'll seal it with bubble gum (or duct tape).

Anonymous said...

[... ] is one relavant source of tips on this subject[...]
http://pets-adoption.info/