Monday, January 3, 2011

missionaries

I have friendships that are about to crash because of veganism.

For all of my life I have been a vegetarian (even though I had a piece of turkey for christmas dinner). I don’t know that it will lengthen my life and I doubt that the guy upstairs is all that impressed, but it is what I know and am comfortable with.

Remember me telling about an in law in law who is big into herb therapy who was convinced that he could cure my grandson of diabetes and my wife of Alzheimer’s by his genius and herbs.

Daughter will not let him do his thing with my diabetic grandson, nor would I even listen to his healing prowess. I think both are nonsense.

The guy is in his 90’s, as onery as an old rooster, and convinced that all of these herbs he injests is the secret, yet his grandmother was smoking a pipe at 105, so there is a bit of genetics there.

I suppose it comes back to “it will help if you think it will help.”

Which brings me back to veganism. I am not exactly sure (not being a shrink) what it is that makes people so missionary about the difference between being a garden variety vegetarian and an ultra vegan.

They are as convinced as my inlawinlaw that it will make them live longer and healthier. It might help if you have had a heart attack or a stroke, I don’t know, and it may just make them think they are living longer, I don’t know, but I asked that the word “vegan” not be used again in my presence.

Which means that I am on an outside roll. If they can’t talk about it, and they are like new christians in their zeal, I am muzzling them. If they do talk about it, I’ll be very uncomfortable, especially when the talk is in the “would you change if it would cure you of . . .?”

So I am an outsider, maybe going even more outside as time goes on. And, truth be told, should l accept the “gospel” of it all, I’d not tell anyone!

It would be my secret!

No comments: