Friday, January 7, 2011

my smart phone

I was aware of the iPhone before it was introduced.

There did not seem to be any reason to get too excited, the chance of me owning one was quite remote, but I read about them, much as I read about Porches and Buick Regals. Off budget, but intriguing!

Then suddenly I am the owner of a "state of last year's" technology.

I am not complaining. To go from a guy who never expected to own one, to a guy who has last year's version is not a bad deal. Mainly it means that when scouting the App store, I have to be a bit aware of models. Mine is the Model 3.

Talked to daughter last night, the one with the engineer/gadgeteer husband. She said when he buys a gadget she judges it's effectiveness by how long he is enamored with it! She said some gadgets keep him occupied for a whole month, and she is delighted!

She said the iPhone has kept him occupied for much longer and I can see why.

If your weakness is playing games on a computer, there are lots of them, and you can carry the game with you to church, or to the Senate. I have family living in 6 different towns. The iphone tracks the weather in each of these towns. It really doesn't matter too much to me what the weather is in Brisbane or Portland or New London, but it keeps me entertained!

My iPhone consultant (futre son in law) said to look carefully through the App store. Look for applications (small programs) that would do what you need. Download all of them. Try them all, and the ones that really won't work for you get rid of them. That is good advice for the thousands of free Apps, but there are lots of pay apps too.

A bit of care there.

But a couple weeks after I began working with this little wonder, I am finding it all sorts of useful, besides being entertaining.

And, life goes on (somewhat changed!)

No comments: