Wednesday, January 5, 2011

techie grandpa

The other day one of my granddaughters called me a "techie grandpa."

Guess it is true, mostly. I bought my first computer 25 years ago. Got a masters degree with the help of that old relic!

Now I text to my grandkids, I use a digital camera, I keep a blog and now I have a smart phone.

My new phone (an apple product of course) is not the latest model. Daughter 4 needed the newest upgrade and her company helped pay for it, so I inherited the old one.

Other than screen size and lack of a two handed keyboard, this smart phone allows me to carry infinitely larger computing power in my pocket than was on that old 75 pound system.

RAM in those days came in Kilobytes. I have not heard that term in a long time. Now I hear about Terabyte. Don't have one yet, but I have a couple 1/4 terabyte devices.

My old college computer had a hard drive (all computers did not in those days), with a capacity of 20 Megabytes. My iPhone has 16 Gigabytes of memory.

If I was getting smarter as fast as my computing power is increasing all would be very well.

I am afraid it is not, however.

No comments: