Monday, April 18, 2011

the new new Beetle

Volkswagen is introducing another “new” Beetle.

Except for the slant nose, it looks pretty much like a lot of other small cars and not too much like the old Beetle.

But it misses the point, I think. Why was the original Beetle so popular? It wasn’t the fabulous drive train. Engine failure was routine. That little air cooled engine just was not made for these long stretches of highways that the American west was known for.

Truthfully, there were better imports of the day, but they went away, yet the Beetle gained a cult following. I drove several VWs for a good while. I would still drive one if I could keep it alive, but I gave up.

The parts were cheap and while it needed work often, one could learn to be their own mechanic. There was a fabulous book called the “idiot’s book” that would walk you step by step through almost any repair. They were a real bucket of fun to drive. Compared to the monstrosities that came out of Detroit in that era, they were like a motorized skate board.

I am afraid that the era of simple but fun cars is over. For a few minutes we will mourn it’s passing.

On the other hand, I have a daughter who has a moderate aged Toyota minivan that is getting close to 300,000 miles on the clock. I sold my 92 Chevy pickup after 240,000 miles, and Miriam’s 92 Cavalier has 160,000 on it and we are still driving it.

In spite of the romance of the idea of the old VW’s I don’t want to go back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My VW Bug was purchased in 1970. It lasted in my care til 1990 and was sold to a friend for his daughter and is still going as we speak.

I loved that car; no air only AM radio and it went across the country. Especially loved it when it went where no one else could during a really bad snow storm in Topeka, Ks.
My best friend called it the yellow pregnant roller skate. Yep she was.

dave said...

Indeed those little guys were pretty indestructible on many levels. Not only no air, but not much heat either!