Thursday, April 21, 2011

spendy wire nuts

I needed 3 larger wire nuts.

I was working on the wiring in the new closet. I am not an electrician, but with a bit of help from my friends I get by.

But here I had 3 wires coming into a box with a place to screw two on receptacle. I figured I need some new larger wire nuts.

Loading Miriam into the car we headed for the Bank first to get some cash from the ATM. That done we went to the shoe shop to pick up my best dress shoes which were being resoled. ($49, ouch).

But the brake felt a bit different as we stopped before crossing the street. The next stop they were worse, so rather than a left turn to the hardware store, I turned right, heading for the tire/brake shop.

One of the brake hydraulic hoses had broken, it turned out, and was spraying brake fluid. “Should I replace the other hose too?” they asked. Yes was my answer. “Purge the lines?” Same answer.

We were there for an hour or so, and $225 later, the brakes work fine.

On one hand I should have stayed home. On the other that was an original line and it could have broken a long way from anyone, rather than just a few blocks away from my favorite brake shop.

But that did make a dent in my getting-close-to-the-end-of-the-month budget, but it is done now.

No comments: