Thursday, June 16, 2011

buying groceries

I took over the food in our house a couple of years ago.

Miriam had the cupboards stocked/overstocked/understocked with a lot of stuff. Gallons of this and jars and jars of that.

So I did not begin from the actual beginning.

But here I am with a motorhome and empty cupboards. No sale, no sugar and no tea. Just empty cupboards. Of course all of these things are at home in Idaho, but that is there and we are here.

Besides, there are a lot of things daughter buys in bulk and the cost is low and the supply fairly high. We will go back to Idaho next week for a week or so, and I’ll gather up all that I can, but I don’t want that kitchen to be depleted either. So I’ll not take THE jar of cinnamon, but maybe half of it in another smaller jar.

I went grocery shopping tonight. This is not a low food cost town. Everything is higher than I have been paying, sometimes by a wide margin.

So I came back from shopping with a few bags of stuff, but not the variety I would like. Since we have company here this weekend (father’s day and all of the daughters, the sons-in-law and most of the grandkids).

No point in buying fresh mushrooms or salad stuff.

And I came back quite depressed by it all.

No comments: