Thursday, June 2, 2011

easy moving

There are a lot of ways to have fewer possessions.

Grandma used to tell me how devastating a house fire was, and she went through one. My other grandmother would say that three moves is about the same as a fire. Once my parents moved 250 miles (after I was born) as passengers in someone else’s car!

In terms of space we are moving from about 1300 square feet to less than 300. That would be a massive challenge, but I have a different tack on this move!

Since we own our house and have no plans to quickly rent it out (and none to sell it), we are going to do it the easy way. We take what we need and leave the rest here. Then we take more when we go up the next time.

When we were in Texas in the late 80’s that is what we did. By the time we were ready to move back to the NW, it was amazing how much we had moved. Besides, artists not only collect a fair amount of “stuff” we make a LOT of it too!

So we will take what we need and hopefully need what we take. Of course, our daughter’s house is just a few yards from the motorhome.
I’ll take a box of hand tools, but my cabinet shop will stay here, pretty much in tack. Moving 300 pound hunks iron is not my idea of a good time. That too may get moved one day, but this time.

When I need to make something, and I will, I’ll drive down for whatever time it takes. I hope sometimes I can leave Miriam with our daughter, so I can rest my head as well.

Are we having fun yet?

No comments: