Tuesday, August 9, 2011

the miserable ones

Tonight public TV showed a wonderful production of "Les Misérables."

It has been a while since I read the book. But so much of it comes through. It is a horrible story, yet it is a story of redemption of death and rebirth.

The book was good, but the music is unforgettable.

There are times when we all think our lives are pretty miserable. It goes with this thing called LIFE, I guess. Today i went to an AD support group, the first time I attended this group. There were half a dozen women, the facilitator, and me, the only guy.

In this town of 50,000 I am sure there are more than half a dozen people with some sort of dementia. Yet, most miserably they try to do it on their own. I am sure at least some do it wonderfully well.

I have attended an AD support group for most of the last dozen years. I am glad I have. I have learned a great deal by listening and participating in the discussions.

Today a lady told of how her husband won't go in the bathroom because there are horses in there. She went logical on him, explaining that there really weren't any. I said I would handle it differently. I'd go chase the horses back into the pasture, thank the new neighbor (as fictitious as the horses) for his help, and tell him all was clear now.

My reality is not hers, nor theirs. My system is pretty simple. I meet her on her level.

So far, it works.

No comments: