Friday, April 5, 2013

daddy duty again

Thursday daughter 1 and I went to an all day seminar in care giving.

The emphasis was not so much on how to care for the patient, but how to care for ourselves. You know when you fly in a plane, the attendant instructs about the emergency equipment and reminds you that if there is an emergency, to put the oxygen mask on yourself FIRST, then on those you are responsible for.

That is how it is in this caregiving thing. We tend to be so intent on doing good that we neglect our own health.

The story kicks around the AD world about a patient and caregiver who go to see the doctor. The patient is happy and full of good words and the caregiver looks like death. That is easy to replicate.

So we were told about healthful living and eating and sleeping and such. In our case we are doing pretty well, particularly since there is two of us to care for one little lady. We can spell each other off easily.

Sunday I am taking another break, this time to Portland to do Daddy-Duty. I need to advise  daughter 4 on putting tile in her bathroom, then photograph her actually doing it, so she can publish it on her blog. (liagriffith.com).

I’ll also take a granddaughter to Portland. Bri is in Cooking School, has just finished the first unit (straight A’s!) and has been visiting her family while she is on spring break. 

Maybe I can slide up north a bit into Washington and see David (the one I wrote about a post or so back). He offered to meet me somewhere in the middle if time is short. 

We will see. Daughter 1 says to go, that she will look after Miriam, and I know she will. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please heed the words of the workshop. Back in 1995 when I was caring for my father(dementia and cancer) no one told me to take really good care of myself including Hospice.

I lost 30 pounds,(a good thing?) and then became so ill after he passed away I couldn't function for months.

A tile project, and time away will renew your spirits more than you know. And love from your family and friends will multiply. Susan

dave said...

I think the caregiving community is getting smarter, if we can and will tune in.
I am so much better as a caregiver thanks to support groups, seminars, books and friends like you, Susan.
Of course, not all patients are alike. Miriam is extremely easy to care for, which I really appreciate!