Friday, April 5, 2013

David

Like most guys I have only had a few really close male friends.
In my case that list real short. I am told that if you are a guy and you have 2 or 3 really close friends, I mean really close friends, in your lifetime, you are somewhat unique. Wow. 

Tonight my friend David called and we visited for an hour. We led in a bible study group for close to 20 years. We camped together. We hiked in the desert together. 

In the church group, what I did not do David did and what he did I did not do and it was wonderful.  Sometimes, we would meet at the church for study and one of us would say (usually it was David) “Let’s do a potluck today, anyone have a house?”

We never were short of food, it was always great. 

Sometimes David would say: “Let’s go camping next weekend.” We would go. It might be 4 or 5 couples in all sorts of RV’s and it might be fewer, or more, but it was always great.

I guess it was that spontaneity that made the group and our leadership so unique. The church published a study guide, which we ignored, instead reading from the Big Book. If I could not be there, David would lead out. If we were both gone Lloyd would lead and if we were all gone together, those who were still there knew the chapter and knew what to do next, and they did. 

So, when I was there a few weeks ago the members kept telling me how much they missed the Dave and David days. 

The odds are not good of finding a real close friend like David (or Carl while we were in Texas). If it does happen, I fully intend to enjoy every moment. 

No comments: