Wednesday, November 28, 2007

home. . .

Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam,
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home

Google tells me that line is 150 years old. Wow.


Still it is so true. We’ve been on the road much of the last month, visiting each of our daughters families. It has been good.

Still, coming into town last night, this little town where I was born and have lived much of my life, it was home. Even Leo the italian greyhound raised his head and started looking around. He knows too.

This house was designed and built for a family with teen age daughters, now those daughters have teen children of their own, so we have a little extra space. Miriam likes to remind me that by any measure it is still a small house. None of my daughters houses is large, but for the most part those with the large families have the larger homes. Our SF daughter could use a bit more space, but in her market that is only a concept. Interestingly, my sister who lives alone owns our parents house, which is the largest in this sampling.

I turned off the switch for the water heater before we left, so it was a while after we got home before we could take that hot shower, but even that was worth it.

So, having driven 2500 miles in the last month, we are ready to stay home and play like real home bodies. I just put a pot of beans on to slow cook. I pulled a loaf of frozen home made bread from the freezer, to go with the beans. Before weekend I’ll make a batch of good bread.

None of that is terribly newsy, or even amusing, or perhaps even of interest, but I have to feel so blessed to have a place I can call home, and a wonderful wife to share it with. Each day when I say grace I thank God for this wonderful woman who is my wife. I know she is wonderful, and God for sure knows, but I want her to hear it out loud -- again, and again.

Yep, there is no place like home.

2 comments:

~Betsy said...

Such a nice post, Dave. You describe the homey feeling so well. I'm glad you made it back safe and sound.

nancy said...

i too second the comment that there's no place like home.

glad you made it home safely as well.