Sunday, November 25, 2007

piano continued

Since I brought up my musician daughters, I’ll continue,

We have two daughters who are 10 ½ months apart, meaning that for all intents and purposes, they were twins. They were good friends, but very different. The older sister was careful and cautious, the younger adventurous and eager.

So we purposely didn’t start them to school at the same time, and we suggested different instruments. When she was the right age, we began Lora, our 2nd daughter on Organ.

The two sisters played together a lot during those years, and I was (and am) their biggest fan. I even enjoyed hearing them practice. Some tunes are rivited in my mind.

Today Lora lives with her husband and 4 children on an 11 acre farm that is on an indian reservation. She and her family attend a little church on the reservation.

And that is what I want to talk about here.

Lora is an RN, works nights delivering babies. From what I hear, she is very good at what she does. Being a nurse makes you very organized and Lora is that, most of the rest of our family are artists, not known for their organizational skils, but Lora is the organized one.

Early on she began giving piano lessons to her children. Their skill level now is pretty much in line with their age. Alan, the oldest at 17 now plays the piano for their church service. He wants to play the organ, and will I am sure.

The other three (another boy and two girls) also take lessons from mom and are doing well. Once in a while, in their living room, we are treated to a concert from all of them. Grandpa smiles and enjoys.

I never actually figured what it cost for their music education, but here it is going into another generation. My grandfather had a degree in piano performance, graduating in 1909.

Granddad would be proud of his great great grandkids!

5 comments:

nancy said...

you can just feel the pride and admiration you have for your girls. so nice to see. congrats to all!

~Betsy said...

The monetary value is priceless when the lessons continue to the next generation, don't you think? Your girls sound wonderful and your grandchildren do, too. Thanks for sharing.

dave said...

You know the only time I have ever even thought of the money spent was when Gus teased me and subsequent telling the story. Whatever it cost I have absolutely no regrets.

Creatrix Dea said...

I'd forgotten Grandpa Wilson was a performing artist. That is so cool. Unfortuneately my only memories of him playing or of him playing loudly--and hitting only half the notes.

dave said...

He was a good grandpa Dea. I remember him when he was younger (he lived to be 98), and a lot more fun.