Sunday, November 18, 2007

Jim again

I went to see Jim again this morning.

His son came over to take more of Jim’s tools to other locations. They gave me a pile of things, and offered more, but my space is limited too.

When he was inside I told his wife that he surely didn’t look good today. No, she answered and he is talking about ending his life. If we were in Oregon that might be arranged in a dignified legal way, but this is Idaho.

As I left, he called me aside. He thanked me for my love and friendship, and he did it with all of the sincerity of a man who is very uncertain about the length of his time here. I hugged his bony frame and repeated that I loved him.

God, don’t let him continue to suffer. It is too much for any of us.

I am leaving tomorrow for a ten or eleven day trip. Will Jim survive until I return?

4 comments:

StefanieRose said...

I am so sorry. My heart hurts for you, Jim, and his whole family. :(

~Betsy said...

My prayers are with Jim and his family.

nancy said...

sending my prayers as well.

Joanne said...

Sending prayers to you and Jim and his family.

Have a safe trip, Dave.