Sunday, November 18, 2007

travel again

This is travel week again.

You might think we don’t stay at home at all. My own father, who was killed at 28 and my step father who died of old age when he was just 71, both were truckers. It is possible that a bit of that rubbed off on me.

Our 3rd daughter lives in the Bay Area. We have spent several Thanksgivings with her and her family and this year we are doing it again.

We will drive, leaving here on Monday, but it is a 10 hour drive, one I would make before lunch a few years ago, but one I’d just as soon do on two days now.

We will take the teardrop trailer, the one I showed earlier. This is not really a camping trip, but we need to take the trailer so we can have our own bedroom. Dea’s house is somewhere between quite small and tiny, and there really isn’t comfortable room for more bodies.

So we take the tear, park it in her drive way, and it is pretty well hidden from view. Last year one of her neighbors commented to another neighbor that she guessed that Dea’s parents didn’t come, since she did not see their trailer.

The Bay Area will be mild temps, with highs in the 50’s and 60’s. But we go through Nevada, and the area where I want to stop will be cold. When we came through there last time, it was 6 degrees cold.

We went to bed in our clothes. Every part of that bed was cold, but we got it warmed up and we were fine. The tear is insulated and is wonderfully comfortable, once you get it warmed up. This time I’ll fire up the camp stove for a bit, heat some water for an old fashioned Hot Water Bottle.

That will be luxury. We will sleep well.

3 comments:

~Betsy said...

This sounds like a wonderful adventure. Happy Thanksgiving, Dave!

dave said...

The sad thing is that my friend Jim is doing very poorly. There is doubt he will live till I return. If he goes while I am gone, I will mourn.

nancy said...

have a nice thanksgiving, drive safely. i'm sorry to hear about your friend jim. i'll say a prayer.