Wednesday, November 21, 2007

shopping

Yesterday was grocery shopping day.

My system is to go to a store I like and buy what I need. Daughter Deanna is much more sophisticated!

We went to the Mexican produce store first. The aisles are narrow and the shelves filled with all sorts of very Mexican food but lots and lots of good produce.

The next store was Trader Joe’s. They seem to have every kind of ethnic, organic, healthy food around. Very yuppie. Good service, good “stuff”.

Then we went to a regular big box grocery store for the rest.

Shopping with Dea is easy. I don’t have to make any decisions, I just follow like a wide eyed kid. I get to watch and listen to the people. The bay area is a big melting pot and you can hear all sorts of languages and accents in a grocery store (or Home Depot).

I noticed a well dressed young woman that I guessed was from India. She concentrated as she made her choices. And in a grocery store, you see the same people again and again as you wonder the aisles, so our paths crossed several times.

Near the end of our shopping, I stood by the cart while Dea went looking for some frozen vegetables. The lady was there too and they began to visit, I could see that.

It seems this was the first Thanksgiving dinner she had prepared, and she asked, in perfect english, how to prepare frozen green beans. She spoke in perfect english, by the way.

At the check out, we met again and I visited with her a bit.

But imagine going into a new country and adapting to a holiday that belonged to the new tradition. We take frozen vegetables pretty much for granted, but what if you hadn’t seen them before.

I admired her spunk. There were eleven on her guest list. I have no doubt that she will prepare a great meal. They will be well fed.

Good for her.

2 comments:

StefanieRose said...

My grandpa would have loved to talk to her as well. He talked to every stranger he could. Loved to hear people's stories. When I was at the grocery store early this morning I thought of you when a man told me he forgot about 7 things on his list. Your a good guy Grandpa Dave.

~Betsy said...

I admire that lady's spunk, too. It would be overwhelming to cook a Thanksgiving meal for 11 people if you aren't sure what the customs are. How sweet.