Sunday, November 18, 2007

my friend don

I want you to meet a few of my friends.

If you have followed this blog at all, you know that I am an original character, a one off piece of work. Not evil, just a wee bit unusual.

So let me tell you a bit about my friend Don.

I’ve known Don for maybe 30 years. He is a good guy, who might drive you nuts on a bad day. Once I was visiting with his wife and I said that I have wanted to choke Don more than a few times since I met him.

“Get in line,” she replied. And we both laughed.

Don has not had good health for a long time. His ticker is suffering and he is showing the signs of a bit of bad genetics. He is in his mid 70’s, which also takes a toll.

When I meet Don, usually it is at church, I’ll shake his hand and ask: “Don, how are you?” And, do you know what, he will always give me the exact same answer: “Still room for improvement.”

“Don, I knew that, I want to know how you are!”

He is one of those lucky people that look pretty good even when he isn’t, and it is hard to really know how things are with him, so if I really want to know I ask his wife. Her name (honest injun here) is Donna. She will tell me all the details, even if he is standing right there.

Love them both. And yes, I suppose that goes for the rest of us: “Still room for improvement.”

It’s a good answer, actually.

2 comments:

~Betsy said...

That's a great answer!

I love hearing about friendships that have endured this long. I have a friend from elementary school. We are still close. It's nearly 30 years for us, too.

dave said...

Elementary school is a long time. I have a few classmates who live close, but we are not on the same page to be close friends.
Male friends are few and I have cherished those I have had.