Thursday, January 10, 2008

Jim's servicce

I am putting the last parts of Jim’s memorial service together. It will be Saturday afternoon.

The family asked me to be in charge, and after getting their approval for some of the basic steps, they turned me loose.

The “bulletin” that we will pass out is made by us, and not by the funeral home. One of my graphic designer daughters, Deanna, is doing the design. She is terribly busy, but she said she would do it for Jim, she remembers him very well and kindly.

There is music, the guest book, greeters, and a hand full of other tasks all done by Jim’s friends. I asked one friend and he said; “It would be an honor.” I think we all feel that way.

And they asked me to speak. That will not be easy, I tend to be a bit emotional at times, but I’ll get through it. If I have trouble I have a friend who will be there to take over if necessary. Since I think it might be difficult, I have written it all out so if I falter some one else, less emotional can finish it.

Our plan is to make it a very up beat event, with lots of good stories and music, but we know there will be some tears.

4 comments:

StefanieRose said...

I have faith in my grandpa that the event will be just what everyone needs. They will cry, yes but I hope tear of happiness because they got to know a truly amazing man.

Joanne said...

I'm sure Jim will be proud of you and what you've done for him and his family, Dave. I'll keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

nancy said...

i too will be thinking of you on saturday. remember to take some long slow deep breaths if you need to. jim would understand. prayers will be coming your way!

rainbowheart said...

You will be in my thoughts and prayers Saturday. You are a great friend Dave. People are so blessed to have you in their lives. If tears flow, I hope that you hear laughter as you share wonderful memories of your friend. Gentle hugs to you...