Friday, January 11, 2008

Once not too many years ago, Jim had helped someone and had been taken advantage of in the process. He complained in the low key way that was his.

“I am not going to help people any more.” He said.

“Yes you will,” I replied. “You will be a bit careful, but you will help people and you will be taken advantage of again, because that is who you are.”

He grinned back at me, he knew I was right.

Back in the 40’s when we were kids, we were all pretty poor, but some were poorer than others. Jim’s family was still fighting the depression, and I think that poverty and the subtle treatment from people who thought they had more, shaped Jim in ways he could not possibly have known.

One family member said that if Jim hadn’t given everyone a good deal, he would be a millionaire. Another said that whatever Jim did, he never took advantage of anyone. I teased him often that if he wasn't so honest he would have a lot more money. He just grinned.

That is his legacy.

This is part of the tribute I will give at his service Saturday.

1 comment:

StefanieRose said...

I hope it is going well right now. Love you lots.