Tuesday, February 12, 2008

pineapple upside down cake

A while back some one asked about my pineapple upside down cake.

Remember I am a man cook, which is to say an impostor, so I’ll tell you how I do it and you better think carefully before you follow!

If we are camping I use my dutch oven, a 10 inch model. If we are home I use a cast bunt pan. The dutch oven can be used over a fire, with charcoal or once in a while I find an available RV oven and stick it in there.

I don’t do things in the right order, but this is how I do it.

Melt about an inch of butter (more might be better).

Pour it in the bottom of the pan and add a fist full of brown sugar. I add plenty.

Then a lot of good walnut pieces. Pieces work better than halves when cutting time comes.

I open a can of Pineapple pieces and drain the liquid off (save it). When the pieces are drained arrange them on the top of the nuts/sugar mix. If I am using the dutch oven I might use most of the can, in the bunt only about half.

That sits while I mix up a lemon cake mix. We usually use one of the cheaper brands and I use the pineapple liquid in the mix.

Pour the cake batter on top of all the rest of the stuff, and shuffle it around to get it as even.

Bake in a 350 oven for longer than you might think. Maybe 45 minutes. There is a LOT of wet stuff in there to bake! When a toothpick comes out clean it is ready to take out of the oven.

As soon as possible, put a plate over the top and turn the whole thing over so the cake will separate onto the plate.

It will separate, the butter and sugar will have camelized, it will all be delicious and upside down!

By the way it is all low calorie, since you cut the butter, the calories leak out. Same goes for the sugar and nuts, which by the way really are good for you.

4 comments:

rainbowheart said...

Dave,
I love your low-calorie version of pineapple-upside down cake. I will try this recipe tomorrow. And I think that most men are good cooks. I have a brother-in-law that is a Cardic Parmadic and Firefigher and he cooks all the folks that he works with (including the police, sheriff and folks that work at the court house) for hoidays. And he is a GREAT cook. So when the holidays roll around Randy and I are usually in the kitchen together cooking up the holiday meal while David (my hubby) is frying the turkey. So, don't be too hard on yourself. You are doing something right...Thanks again for the recipe...I will post and let you know how it come out...
P.S. I have a few of quick and simple dessert recipes that use fresh or canned fruit. Let me know if you would like copies and I will e-mail them to you....

Joanne said...

Dave,
This sounds so much like the way my grandmother used to make her pineapple upside down cake. My mom used her recipe and it was always so good. Now you have me craving for it. Guess I'll have to dig out the recipe and if I can't find it, I'll use yours. Thanks! Great post.

Lori1955 said...

OK, what I need to know now is if you use a dutch oven over a fire, how long do you cook it for? gotta have recipes for when I hit the road. :)

dave said...

I have used charcoal briquettes the last times I used it. With Charcoal it is fairly easy to control temp (there are formulas that seem to work well). The fire is more complex but with a good bed of coals it is doable.
My memory is that the last time I did one I baked it for close to an hour altogether.
I am still experimenting with all of this, remember.