Monday, September 8, 2008

changes

As we age we seem to live just so we can take medications.

My doctor says I am “amazingly healthy” but I take a couple of medications any way.

This last week I visited our doctor, a wonderful young woman not too long out of medical school (a while back she told me she had her student loans paid down to $200,000 now).

We talked about Miriam’s anti depressant, which we tell her is a blood pressure medicine. There are some rather irritating side affects and I wondered to the doctor if we could change her from that one to the one I am taking which has fewer side affects, at least we hope so.

I tried to explain to Miriam that the new pills were the same as the ones I take and since they are taken twice a day and since I often forget to take the evening pill, I have a surplus, and yes for the next month you will be taking a medicine that has my name on the bottle.

Seems simple enough to the doctor and me. But any kind of change is really hard for Miriam. She asked me about a dozen times what was going on and scolded me for making changes without talking to her (I have talked to her from the beginning).

Just reminds me of how much routine is to the Alzheimer patient, and how much they fear change.

No comments: