Wednesday, September 10, 2008

more on pickups

A few more words about pickups.

I spent much of my life in the building trades. I have worked out of everything imaginable. Old Ford and Chevy Panels, a sedan delivery or two, a hand full of import pickups, and as nutty as it sounds my VW bug that I cut down and made into a pickup.

That was quite a sight. I would put the carpet pad on the bed the the cuts of carpet on top of that and tie it all down. That model had a swing axle and those back wheels would be at a wild angle and the engine pan was about an inch above the ground.

I did not travel far for work in those days and it worked quite well.

As much as I would drive, gas price was always a factor. I had a new Chevy Luv that would only get 18 mpg and not with any power either. Same for my Ford Courier and my Dodge D50.

Then I saw a full size chevy pickup with a V6 and a 5 speed that the sticker said would get 23 mpg and I as hooked.

That was a truly wonderful rig. Basic as can be, no AC, but a sliding back window which helped a lot on hot days.

My current Dodge is a pretty basic rig, as pickups go, but it is more luxurious that any rig I ever owned! It has a 19 mpg rating and will do that pretty regularly.

I would have bought a new chevy like my old one, but the current version is listed at 20 mpg and for the difference I got a lot more comfort and capacity.

So it goes.

With the pice of gas now, I have not filled that tank for close to a year! I buy enough to get along each month and drive the Cavalier mostly.

Oh well.

1 comment:

Lori1955 said...

Do you have a picture of your VW bug truck? I would sure like to see that one.