Wednesday, September 10, 2008

pickups

I officially retired a few years ago, actually when I turned 65.

My trusty 1992 Chevy pickup was nearing the end of it’s easy life, with 240,000 miles. I knew large repairs were ahead, so I decided that the best thing to do was to buy a new pickup.

I went shopping. The new version of my trusty Chevy has 20 more horse power, for some vanity reasons I guess, but the killer was that it got 2 or 3 mpg less that my old one.

The Ford people just laughed at me. The idea of buying a Chevy (“It’s a piece of junk”) was horrible to them, but they made no offer to help me find a Ford that would fill my needs.

Then we stopped at the Dodge store. Before it was over I was the owner of a new Dodge pickup.

My theory, which you can argue with easily, is to buy as new as possible, and to drive the whole life out of the vehicle. If it fits your needs and if you like it why not. Miriam’s little car (I bought it for her 55th birthday) is 16 years old now and still goes right along.

So the idea was that if we had to be reduced to one vehicle a pickup would be the most versatile rig for us.

One point I did not anticipate. Gas was a buck and a half a gallon when I bought the Dodge. Now it is “down” to $3.75.

My what a difference that makes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When I began caregiving I had a Civic. It was low and hard for mom especially to get in and out. So then later I got a SUV. It was a little too tall but I had a deal I could lower it about 2".

Then when I had to pick up dad and put him in the seat it was still hard. I never did decide what would be right.

I am planning on keeping my current car for a while. It doesn't get that great mileage but I don't really drive very far either.

Interesting post. I think I will post about the cars I've owned sometime.

Lori1955 said...

I've never owned a pickup. I had wanted a F150 for years. Well one time when my car was in shop, they gave me a F150 as a loaner. It's not the ideal vehicle for someone who is 5'2". I almost broke my neck getting out of it. :) Guess I'll stick with my van.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

I am going to be getting a truck in the coming months. It seems we are always needing one for something and we hate to borrow or ask someone to set aside time out of their day to help us. They sure come in handy. I wonder what I will end up with.