Sunday, September 7, 2008

extra innings

Three score and ten, the Big Book says.

But we might make it to four score it says in Psalm 90.

Once you pass that magic number, I guess it is extra innings.

Then if there is Alzheimer's in the mix all those numbers mean little.

I did a fair job of keeping up with my garden this summer, then it got ahead of me, during the hot days. I apologized to my neighbor who has a perfect landscape. “Dave that just goes to show that you had more important things to do.”

Each day is special during this time.

Our doctor and I decide to try Miriam on a new anti depressant. There might be fewer side affects. But to Miriam it is a vast conspiracy and no amount of explaining gets the point across permanently. We finally came to an agreement.

That, of course, meant that I stretch the truth a bit. I tell her the med is for blood pressure, and my kids agree saying it is dad’s blood pressure medicine that mom takes.

We discovered a year or so ago that if we could give her a mild anti depressant she was a mile easier to get along with, which does help my blood pressure a lot. The joy of extra innings.

We have been on this Alzheimer's plot for 9 years now and she does pretty well. Love those extra innings.

But today is good, my task is to make it wonderful.

1 comment:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Your quest to give Miriam the best life you can reminds me so of my dad with my mom. He tried so hard and she loved him so for it. Bless your sweet kind heart.