Saturday, September 13, 2008

passing it on

A while back my youngest daughter, Lia, decided to tile her front porch.

She went to the tile store and bought the tile and mastic. Then she went to the rental store and rented a tile saw.

The guy at the rental store asked her if she was sure knew what she was doing. She assured him she would do fine. Her dad was a retired tile contractor, after all.

When a problem popped up, she wold stop and ask herself: “what would dad do?”

It came out good of course.

Amazing what she learned by hanging around dad.


Miriam and I were professional photographers when the girls were little. Dea, daughter 3 recently needed to do some food photographs for an account she had. She called for a little advice, and then produced wonderful pictures. I was almost stunned at her understanding of light.

Later she did some architectural photography, with the same results. She said it was amazing how much about photography she remembered from just being around us those years. She was about 10 when we got out of the business.

So a month or so ago a grandson called. He wanted some advice on photographing food. He was entering a competition and needed some coaching. His photographs were pretty good, really.

Can’t say he learned anything from hanging around watching me, we quit professional photographs 20 years before he was born. HIs photographs were very decent.

I am proud of them all.

Sometimes it is amazing what we pass on to our kids. It is also amazing what a positive attitude does!

3 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

A chip off the old block, I do say! Good job Dave for raising good talented kids!

Lori1955 said...

How great that your kids learned such positive things from hanging around you. Of course that should also be a reminder to parents to be careful how they act around their children. I'm glad your children had positive role models.

rainbowheart said...

I try to do things around my house without havng Daddy come out and having to help. Somethings have turned out really well and others..well I should have had him here. But he will tell me that "if you need help, call me and I'll go and help you." Needless to say, before I start a project I will call him and get a few pointers. I did redo the shelves in my pantry last week and Daddy come out and told me "you have learned something from me..huh?" We both laughed.