Thursday, February 26, 2009

mom and step dad


This was taken the week mom and my step dad were married. I was 6.
Mom was 26, had buried a husband and two babies.
She was a tough, wonderful woman, and a super mom. She has been gone way too long, and I still miss her.
It took me a long time to make peace with my step father.
Maybe we both had to grow up.
Mom was just 65 when cancer brought her down. She was strong right to the end. My step dad lived a few more years. I am not sure anything killed him, I really think he just gave up.
Mom took good care of him, and when he lost her he was without an anchor or rudder.
He was younger than I am now.
I had three parents, I have lived longer than any of them.
I am not sure i find all of that to be comforting.

1 comment:

arutherford said...

Aww Dave, you have your Mother's sweet smile. It's a smile from within that exudes a sweet spirit.

As to living longer, not only do we know how to take care of ourselves better (although we don't always) but modern medicine and preventative care is so much better.

Celebrate life and the enjoyment of those 13 grandchildren and beautiful daughters.