Wednesday, February 18, 2009

my mint

I have a scrawny little mint patch in my garden.

Mint goes good with green tea and I drink a pint of green tea each morning, and a bit of mint adds a nice touch
.

Mint can spread to places you do not wish. Mine is in the corner, right past the foot bridge and next to the last real original desert plant left on the place.

The patch is not much bigger than a kitchen table, and it just does not look like much. Not very thick, kinda scrawny. But each fall I get a bunch or two of mint stems, which I tie into a bundle or two and hang on a hook behind the wood stove.

When dry I the leaves come off and into one of those peanut butter jars. the stems go to the compost pile.

As scrawny as my patch is, I get enough mint to last me a full year and still have enough to share. It does not take much to enhance a pint of tea

Every morning when I take the jar of mint off the shelf and put a bit in my tea, I am reminded that enough is enough. I sometimes think I need more or better or newer, but this humble little patch provides enough.

I love Garrison Kealor’s parting line: “Be good, do good work and keep in touch.” I will quote another writer: “I wish you enough.”

Not more than you need, not less, but enough.

No comments: