Monday, February 16, 2009

routine

We artists are not terribly good at routine projects.

We tend to invent rather than follow rules and outlines. (That is my story, do not interrupt!)

I get up in the morning about 5, though as you would assume, there is not any really hard set time I get up. I have slept as late as 7 and have gotten up as early as 3:30. No routine there.

When I was in high school I worked in a bakery. I remember some nights the head baker went to work at 12:30 and I was expected to be at work before 5, so I guess this is old habit.

But, when I get up I have a definite ritual. I put water in the electric tea kettle for tea. I build a fire (our little house has a little stove that burns little wood). When the fire is going good, and the tea water is hot I pour water into the tea (always the same green tea with an added pinch of home grown mint) and then I get dressed.

Clean socks, under shorts, handkerchief always. Other wise clean as I think the day will demand.

By then my tea is finished steeping, so I strain out the mint leaves and tea bag, rinse out the cup (a 16 ounce travel mug) pour the tea back in the mug and add milk (don’t faint or scream at me please).

Then I can sit in my chair, open my MacBook and begin the day. That might start with a letter or two or a post for my blog, but ends up reading the NYTimes, the two of the local papers before wondering off to other sites. (I am a news junkie I fear).

That begins my day.

Today I am not sure exactly what the day will involve. I finished my plumbing project last week, I might get some trim painted for the Utility room, so I can paint that room soon. Or I might put the shop back together and put the pile of plastic laminate back in the racks. Or I might work on making books. Hmm.

This time of year there are options. When summer is here, I will go out early and do some garden work. But now I really want to enjoy the leisure of that early morning routine.

No comments: