Saturday, February 21, 2009

travel day

Yesterday was travel day.

Two of my sons in law were going to a Men’s Retreat. I had gone with them a few years ago, but being alone in a group of 400 men who all seemed to know each other and I did not, was not a happy weekend.

We introverts (OK I am half in and half ex), don't relish that kind of a setting. So this year when they invited me to with them again. I said I’d rather eat barbed wire. But. . . . I had a plan.

So Thursday evening, I got Miriam to pack her case. I put each of our sleeping bag and a pillow separate bags, and she went to bed. I woke got up at 6 am, took a shower and got started making a breakfast lunch. I woke Miriam at 7 and we got out the door by 8:30, which is very fast, for us.

She complained on every move, but it was done, and I did not loose my humor.

So today I left her with Lora (daughter 2) and drove 45 miles to Arline’s (daughter 1). Miriam thinks I am going with the guys, but my plan was to hang out with Arline for a couple of day, and take a break.

I love Miriam a lot and don’t mind being with her, but a bit of time apart is not bad either.

We will go home Monday or Tuesday. There is not big hurry. Juan my hispanic neighbor, and a super guy, will look after the mail and see that nothing goes wrong (if it should he has my cell phone number).

A good friend who is in his mid 80’s told me that we should travel when we can because we all know the time is coming when we cannot.

Even I need to get away sometimes.