Wednesday, February 18, 2009

potato patch


I haven't been growing potatoes. We live in Idaho after all, and they are cheap, but last year I decided to grow a patch. I planted three varieties, red, yellow and white! The reds were great, but don't keep too long, the yellows were superb and kept better. The whites keep the longest, but I grew russets, the kind that the potato growers grow, and they require better care than I gave them and many of the tubers were hopelessly knobby.
Ahh "next year" as we gardeners always say.

2 comments:

arutherford said...

Hi Dave,
My Dad had a patch of land he set aside for gardening, back behind his garage. He's been gone now over 2 years. My daughter and her 2 boys live in the house now.

I've decided that this is the year to resurect the garden so I'm beginnng to read up on what grows best in No. VA. Obviously tomatoes and squash, but I'd like a bit more variety and certainly have the space. If you have any great ideas, please pass them along.

Humm, wonder if I could grow potatoes?
Ann

arutherford said...

Oh, and Dave, I just added your blog to my list on my blog, which I just stared. Hope you don't mind.

Mine is: http://something2say-ar.blogspot.com/ Stop by.