Thursday, April 30, 2009

daughters and houses

I have always enjoyed being with my daughters.

Maybe a moment or two here and there, I was not sure, but the rest of the time I was glad to be their father. As one famous guy (so famous I do not remember his name) said: “Of all the things I have done, being a dad was my favorite.”

Today we spent time with Deanna. She made breakfast and we went for a good long walk. I am somewhat of a aficionado of house design. I like old or new houses that “have not been messed with.” Houses that, though they may have been remodeled extensively, still have the character of the original.

Deanna worked for an Architect for quite a while. He was the same way. Nothing bugs the two of us worse than seeing a 1950 house, with brick from the 70’s and painted 1890 colors. And, it can be really bad.

So I took pictures as we walked. Wonderful tiny houses. Old well loved houses with their character in tack. New houses that look like they belonged right where they were, except that 3500 square feet may be a bit over board for me.

The real ugly houses did not get photographed, but honestly, there was not that many.

Then we went to Ikea and did a lot of looking and $40 worth of buying. Too soon it was time to put Deanna on the airplane. We came to Portland a day early so we could spend a day with Dea and it worked that way and it was wonderful.

Now we are here with Miss Emily. We had dinner together, Miriam is cleaning the kitchen, which is fun at home and wildly so here. She puts things away creatively.

I miss my house and my garden, but I am so glad to spend time with my family.

No comments: