Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Looking good?

My sister called last night.

She calls often and we talk a good bit so that was not a big deal. She had not said much when she said “I am worried about you.”

I don’t know that my mother used those words, but she used to pray, kneeling by the kitchen stove early in the morning, praying out loud, and more than once I heard her mention my name in similar tones.

Sis had had a biopsy done on a skin spot that her doc was concerned about and she told me about that (my family knows how non medical I am and gory details are not necessary).

Then she said Kay had asked her:”Is there something wrong with Dave, he does not look good.” Kay works part time for Joyce, and is an old friend.

So, “Are you OK?”

So I began to take stock. The heat exhaustion I experienced last week has an effect on me still, but I saw Kay last the day before that happened. I have been eating well, I think. I think I am getting enough sleep, 5 or 6 hours at night and a nap or two.

But maybe not. It is 3 am now. I should be sleeping, but I woke up and sleep is allusive. I went to bed at 9:30 last night, an unheard of event for me, and I'll be back in bed by 4:30. Is that enough? I don't know.

There is enough things to be concerned about and I may be more of a worrier than I might think.

I had a run in with my pastor that eats at my gut. Age and meds affect my life here and there in worrisome irritating ways. The increased level of care for us and Miriam weighs heavier than I thought, perhaps. She is doing well, but she is not doing better, ever. Our future is murky at best.

So the answer? How am I doing? I really do not know. Sis assured Kay that one thing about Dave is that he sees his doctor regularly, and he will do as the doc says.

I have an appointment next week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had been caregiving a long while when a few family and friends began to worry about me. Finally I was persuaded to begin seeking some help.

One of the appointments I subsequently arranged was with a nurse. She took one look at me and asked someone to get me a bottle of water. She insisted I drink it while we were talking.

And she was right, too. I was terribly dehydrated. I was not getting any uninterrupted sleep. My blood pressure was through the roof. I was a mess.

Amazing though how much better I felt when I just began keeping myself hydrated.

There was a time there when my prayer was just that the Lord would let me live long enough to take care of my dad. Seems remarkable now since there was a 31 year span between us. But I really wondered for a time.

It is hard but it is very necessary to take care of yourself.

Care about you Dave.