Thursday, November 19, 2009

1912 Singer

Today I unwrapped an old friend.

A long time ago (30 years give or take a few) I had a friend who was a sewing machine repairman. One day he came by and gave me this ancient Singer. He had serviced it and he assumed me that it worked well. And it did one thing sew straight ahead.

Some of my sculpture has involved some sewing and that old machine worked through art school. People often wondered about the old girl sitting I the corner of my studio.

Well today I got her out (have a book project that I want to do some sewing on). The old gal had been wrapped in plastic so it was clean. I got the serial number to check with the guru’s online.

It turned easily and should work, except that the wiring is totally shot, bare copper in a lot of spots, but that is fixable, and easily so.

She is a 1912 version of the trusty old Model 66. She sews straight ahead, and that is all. But she will sew leather and thick fabrics. My skills are somewhere beginner and beginner and I don’t need anything complex.

It is sorta like an old Brownie camera. Not a lot of complications, not a lot of adjustments and sure not a lot of modernity!

Most likely this lady started out in a treadle cabinet, but was electrified at some later point. That was almost a hundred years ago.

Any way, it was good to find something useful that is older than I am!

No comments: