Monday, November 16, 2009

an answer?

Last wednesday was AD support group day.

Several new people. Most were taking care of their spouses. One was looking after a 91 year old mother.

Most are coping quite well, some exceedingly well.

There are also a couple of ladies who lost their husbands some time ago. One AD husband went 25 years ago, but she continues to attend the meetings.

But one couple really pulled at my heart strings. She said first thing that she has seizure disorder. I know a little about that one. She has frequent seizures, and two teen age children. He has AD and is not easy to get on with I gather.

She has to guide him when they go places. He can’t remember where to go. She said he hollered and was noisy a lot. The children were only mentioned in passing, but you know this is having a huge affect on them.

What do you tell people who are going through this kind of thing ? I was and still am at loss. All of the easy answers fail.

She had great internal strength. You could tell. That was the one positive thing.

But I wish there were answers. Any answer would help.

2 comments:

arutherford said...

There are no answers because the answers are individual, they are within each of us. But, there is the soft but firm handshake; the eye to eye contact that says I care; the giving of the email or phone number, "in case you want to talk." Anything that keeps someone from feeling alone is a gift. A listening, non-judgmental ear and hugs that show your support are the most important things you have to offer. And, I'm betting you've already offered some of that. ;-}

dave said...

What struck me is that the woman was amazingly upbeat about it all. The rest of us were sitting there with our mouths hanging and she was showing great strength.
I think we did what we could, but I wish it was more.