Friday, January 29, 2010

figure skating

Last night I watched figure skating.

Girls of course.

Beautiful, graceful, young and extremely athletic.

There was a batch of them. Once in a while one would do a triple spin and fall and I would feel agony for her.

One girl skated a perfect program and she was elated to be on top with two to go, but those two skated even more perfectly and the first girl came in third.

But only two of them are going to the Olympics.

And here is where I guess I get messed up with our culture.

Yes, some one gets to win and feel good about themselves, but some one else always looses.

Always.

And they were probably as gifted as the winners, put in just as much hard work, but a bit of luck doomed them to third or fifth place.

These girls have given their young lives to this sport. They began young and their parents and them made huge sacrifices for their training.

What does a 3rd place standing do in later life?

I am not sure.

No comments: